Friday, March 11, 2011

Revision: Another Look at Tradition

For my revision piece, I chose my tradition essay, "Fifteen Minutes of Fame." It was by far the most difficult piece for me to write, and now, looking back, I truly wish I had gone with another thesis. The paper itself lacked a connection between the thesis, "With the development of video sharing websites, the glorified fifteen minutes of fame is now easier to achieve than ever," and the subject of tradition. Sure, the paper explained the effect that the internet had on achieving fame, etc. But it really didn't explain why and how this new technology actually altered the old way of obtaining fame. For this particular revision piece, I focused primarily on the conclusion, as it was in desperate need of a re-write.

Revising is so hard for me to do. Not because I believe that my writing is perfect and not in need of corrections. (Far from it!) But once I go back and try to rework a paper, I get lost in the revision and my writing suddenly starts to sound mechanical. However, revising is something that is a must when writing papers, and my ability to look at a piece of writing and revise it is something that I will continue to always, always work to improve.

No comments:

Post a Comment