Thursday, March 10, 2011

Writer's Choice: A Lesson in Identity

What's in your wallet?

Deep down, it's a question you want to ask everyone, right? Human Beings are curious by nature, and rifling through another's wallet goes a long way in satisfying that God-given curiosity. That inherent need that we all have to know more, more, more...

I picked this particular piece for my Writer's Choice because, well, it's the piece that best describes who I am and just why I am the way I am. For example, "...my aversion to attachments has to do with the fact that I've lost more loved ones over the past eighteen years than I care to count" goes a long way in illustrating how I view not only the world around me, but how I handle my relationships as well.

Diving into my own wallet did offer me a glimpse of how a random stranger might actually perceive me after going through my belongings. But, perhaps even more important than that, by picking through and writing about my own possessions, I was finally able to see myself as I truly am - flaws, past heartaches, future dreams and all.

No comments:

Post a Comment